Thursday, November 28, 2013

Graphic Art Success: Choosing to Be Excellent

Last week I wrote a post about using public domain images using an owl image. I created several different images and had them published on hundreds of products in my Zazzle and Cafepress stores. A few days later, I discovered some problems with the pink owl.

Evidently when I used the scaling tool to widen the body, it left a gap between the body and head that I had not dealt with and I also had some jagged edges on the head as seen here.

Why I didn't notice it before I created all those products, I don't know. I musta just gotten careless.

Now I had a choice to make. Do I just leave it (since it's not all that obvious) or do I correct my mistake and start over? One of the things I think about when I lay down at night- will the people who buy my products see excellence or will they find mistakes I've missed (double shudder :).

Anyway, after thinking about the situation, I quickly deleted all the products that had the owl images on them. I fixed the original owl images and restarted the process.

Was this a lot of work? Yes! But I would do it again. This has taught me an important lesson, and that is to enlarge my images to 100% and carefully scan for anything that needs to be fixed before publishing them.  It also made me think about excellence. Do I just want to create work that's good  enough or do I want to present my best work?

This truth can be applied to any area of my career. If I've volunteered to create a graphic or logo for my church or other nonprofit organization, do I create sub par work because it's free? 


No comments:

Post a Comment