Monday, November 25, 2013

Using Public Domain Images: Cute Owl Images

I have not sold many things on Zazzle or Cafepress (mostly because I have not been marketing them very much.) But I did make a few sales which has inspired me to give it more of my effort and attention. It seems like my "cute images" do the best.  For example this mother and baby parrot that are on many of the products in my Cafepress Store and also in my Zazzle Store.

(I wrote a post about this image, My First Attempt at Using Public Domain Images earlier this year.)

Since cute seems to sell, I decided to create some more cuteness.  Drawing animals is not one of my strongest qualities so I I found this wonderful owl by moonlight at http://www.publicdomainpictures.net



In Gimp, I used the free select tool (feather edges set to about 6) to cut out the owl. I duplicated the owl 2 times and used the colorize tool to color mom pink and baby blue. I used the scale tool to make baby owl smaller and add some girth to the mother owl.

I also changed baby owl's nose, to make it more "button-like."

I used the round paint brush, and changed the eyes to make it seem as if the owls were looking at each other.

I created a few of my own stars.

I created the appearance of mother owl extending her wing protectively around baby.

I also shortened and thickened the branch and placed it at a more horizontal direction. I put a courtesy to Public Domain Pictures on tree trunk.  

I ended up with this image of a cute owl family. 

After brainstorming a while, I came up with 2 more versions, using just the mother and baby owl. I thought it would be a great image to put on gifts for mothers to their children or a grandparent to give to a grandchild.
 




I welcome comments. Please share your own tips and thoughts with the rest of us. 




2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I am a student and I don't understand pin it.
    Can I use the owl picture in a newsletter for parents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pin it button is to "pin" the image to your Pinterest account. You must first sign up for a Pinterest account.

      Delete