Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Public Domain Images: 7 Benefits of Giving Away My Artwork

This morning I was thinking about some of the benefits I've received as a result of putting a few of my images in the public domain (free for any use- including personal and commercial use). I have a few of my images on Pixabay as well as on a free blog.  Here are some of the benefits I've seen.

1. It's a good way to get practice. I enjoy the process of creating without the pressure of stringent guidelines.

2. It feels good to give back. I use other people's artwork and designs for free so I feel good about giving away some of my work.

3. It's one way to use quality images that haven't sold. I have a lot of images on microstock photography sites that haven't sold and are just sitting there taking up space.

4. It encourages me to keep creating when I see how many times my images are downloaded and see where people are using them.  Sometimes people will send you a link and let you know where they are using your designs, but if not, you might find some of them with Google's search by image tool. (Click on the camera icon). 

5. It's a way to generate income. I put Adsense on my free blog. Another way to make money is through donations. Places like Pixabay make it easy for artists and photographers to be able to receive contributions.  

7. It offers exposure for me and my artwork. I try to make it a point to only offer high quality images  even if it is free because you just don't know what doors may open as a result.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment